Ep 02: For When You Want To Break The Rules
Scroll down to listen to this episode.
Alternate titles: For When You Get Zika / For When You Are 30 / For When You Feel Pressure / For When You Want To Travel The World
I'm 32, and I have three jobs and about $2,000 to my name. I'm not married and I don't have babies (except my dog). I live near San Francisco, about 2,500 miles from my family. Life isn't perfect, but it's pretty great.
Until I decide it's not. Usually this comes from thumbing through social media too long and seeing another person get engaged, buy a house, get promoted and have a baby. In an instant, my life is totally wrong. Shouldn't I be married by now? Isn't my biological clock ticking? Shouldn't I have, like, an investment portfolio? I start to panic that I'm falling behind. Soon after, I frantically start looking for jobs I don't actually want and asking my boyfriend if he's ever going to marry me and we get into a huge fight.
All because a long time ago, someone/something told me that was what I was "should" be doing, and I believed them.
In this episode, I talk to my friend, Emily. At 25, she was working on Wall Street, making Wall Street money. When her hair started falling out, she knew it might be time to make a change. She landed in Charleston, started teaching yoga and bartending, when she got an itch to move to Costa Rica. Society would've told her that she shouldn't have left such a dream job (and dream money) only to make a fraction of what she had, go from job-to-job, country-to-country with no plans to settle down. But she didn't listen to that.
Thank God for us.
- 3:24 - A plan very different from the one she has now
- 9:23 - How she knew it was time to leave
- 15:30 - Why she shouldn't move to Costa Rica
- 17:30 - The hardest part
- 21:40 - How to navigate the guilt of moving away from family
- 24:27 - What Zika and dengue are like (because you've been *dying* to know)
- 27:16 - When other people project their opinions on you
- 29:00 - When you project right back onto them
- 34:00 - The big mistake people make on vacaction
- 38:45 - Her biggest fear (and big plan)
- 40:30 - For when you're afraid to follow your gut